02 February 2009

HRC

This letter went to my local representatives. I usually just send the default letter if, say, we're talking about an issue that I consider important, but not as close to my heart.

"Moments ago, this was a default letter written by somebody else. Now I'm sitting here, before my first class of the week, spending time writing something I doubt anyone will ever read.

The default letter - you've probably gotten some - was eloquent and informative of the situation of the GLBT community, a community of which I am a small, monetarily-challenged part. Because I can't help financially, I'm writing in hopes of garnering your support.

I'm sure you're well aware of the situation facing the GLBT community. I find it appalling that this country, this great symbol of freedom and hope, sees fit to treat any human being in this manner. What we have is an institution similar to the segregation of people by the color of their skin, but with one important difference: a person cannot determine whether another person is GLBT by outward appearance. This leads to McCarthyan treatment of supposed outsiders, to homosexual witch-hunts and complete unfairness. So I ask you, sir, as my representative, to please help my people. "

No comments: