28 January 2009

DOMA

I found a website advocating DOMA, which asks readers to send letters to their federal senators, their federal representatives, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Barack Obama, telling them what's what. Here is their argument: http://www.domadefensefund.com/site/c.loJQIPOtErH/b.4865419/ And here is mine:

"My name is Hannah. I'm 18, bisexual, and live in the Midwest. Change doesn't often start somewhere like Iowa, but what happened in the last presidential election gave me heart. I want to advocate for myself and my fellow members of the GLBT community, but any money I have goes to food or textbooks, and most of my time goes to homework, classes, and my job. Thus I am drafting this message quickly, before class starts and my whole day is taken up with the business of basic survival as a college student.

What I am saying is this: DOMA has a negative effect on me as a human being. I know that nobody probably reads the emails from this site, but I suggest that once you've read the lot, consider their argument. From what I read, these people, these advocates of DOMA, would have you stop "imposing" same-sex marriages on the good straight people of these United States. This suggests that the reason they are so up-in-arms about the status of DOMA is that they feel, once DOMA is repealed and everyone is granted equal rights, that the government will swoop down upon them and force them into unions with members of their own sex.

I have no personal issue with supporters of DOMA. Right and wrong are so subjective that I firmly believe they think they are doing what's right. To them, the GLBT community is dehumanized. Forgive them, for they know not what they do.

I thank you for your attention.

No comments: