13 April 2009

The Lesbians In My Life

The following is an email I sent to my state representatives a moment ago.

"When I was a kid, my parents both worked full-time. While I had a mother and father, I was primarily raised - at least early on - by people other than my parents: teachers, daycare providers, and babysitters. The woman who took care of me during the days, and who once drove me to the hospital in her own car when I needed three stitches in my knee, lived with another woman. As for babysitting, I was watched by two women who had a son my age. It wasn't until years later that I realized these were both gay couples. I never heard anything about sexual intercourse. None of these ladies ever kissed one another in front of me. In fact, I can only think of two lasting effects these childhood contacts have had on me: that women deserve respect, and that people are people and should all be treated the same.

Every single time I hear anything from the anti-equality side of the issue, they insist that same-sex marriage will harm the children. Every time I hear that, it irks me. I'm currently 18 years of age and a sophomore at the University of Iowa; I skipped a year of high school and have consistently made the dean's list. I am active on campus and in the community. Who, then, did all the strong, independent, kind, gay women in my past harm?

On April 3rd, 2009, I celebrated with my friends and peers who now - under the law at least - are not judged by the sex of their significant other but by the content of their character. I implore you to uphold the liberties of all Iowans, and to ignore those who, with scathing lies, lash out in fear. They understand not what they do.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments."

No comments: